Hello World!

July 21, 2013

After two weeks, I have left my job at Neeble Technologies. I feel exhilarated. The last four years of my life were dedicated to the single-minded goal of becoming a software engineer, get a high-paying job at an MNC, and live happily ever after. I don’t know what I am going to do next.

The last two weeks were terrible. Every morning, I woke up at 6 am, took the crowded bus to Borivali station, waited for the train, got pushed and shoved into the jam-packed Mumbai local, got down at Andheri station, crossed the bridge to the east side, took another crowded bus which literally crawls to Chandivali which is in a faraway corner in Andheri East, and walked to the Neeble office.

The whole journey takes almost 2 hours, one way. Repeat the same journey in the evening, and I arrive home late at night, exhausted. Repeat again, tomorrow. I won’t complain about the pollution and traffic of Mumbai, but you get an idea. I kept lying to my mom, saying it was a good day at work while hating every minute of it. Worst of all, I hated the 4 hours of my life wasted in commute, every single day.

It’s not like the work was any good, either. All we were doing is learning all the programming concepts they taught us in the first year of engineering. Maybe they didn’t trust that we learned anything in school. I struggled in some of the most basic programming assignments. Maybe they were right.

I digress. I walked into our CTO’s office yesterday and told him that I didn’t want to do this anymore. He was surprised and thought I was poached by some other MNC. I told him that was not the case and admitted that I had lost interest in becoming a software engineer. He asked me what I was going to do. Maybe teach Math, I said, just to say something. He wished me luck. It was quick and easy. Not what I had expected.

I am not sure what I will do next. Maybe switch careers? Join other company? Start teaching Maths? I don’t know. Lots of uncertainties.

One certain thing is that I am glad for having found my freedom again. I woke up this morning at 6 am, took the crowded bus to Borivali station (I haven’t told my parents yet, remember?), watched everyone rush to get the trains, got pushed and shoved into the jam-packed Mumbai local. But, instead of getting down at Andheri, went all the way to Churchgate. Took a long stroll on Marine Drive and watched the waves crash. It was a beautiful day.

Here is to the newfound freedom!